Sausage buns and rolls are Ethan’s favourite. He loves the fact that he can do abit of ‘treasure’ digging, digging the sausages out to eat first and leaving the bread for dessert! This is another variety of sausage buns.
Ingredients for Sausage Buns (makes 15 large buns)
For dough, refer to ingredients to make Pai Bao and 15 cooked frankfurter sausages (lightly boiled and drained), sesame seeds for garnishing (optional)
To make the dough, refer to the methods described for Pai Bao, with the following modifications to shape the buns:
1) After first proofing, deflate to remove the air in the dough and divide into 15 equal portions. Roll out a portion of the dough with a rolling pin into an oval shape, about the length of the sausage.
2) Place the sausage on the dough and roll to cover the sausage.
3) Make 4 equal slits cutting through the sausage but not to the edge of the dough.
4) Gently twist the cut sausage without breaking the dough to make into a flower.
5) Repeat with the rest of the dough and sausages.
6) Place it on a large baking tray to be covered with cling wrap or a damp cloth for 1 hours and 30 minutes.
7) Lightly brush the surface with whisked egg (egg wash). You can sprinkle some sesame seeds in the middle of the bun.
8) Bake in a pre-heated oven at 150 degrees C for 10 to 20 minutes, until the buns turn brown.
9) Remove from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack. Let cool completely. I have a fan assisted oven, depending on your oven you may need to alter the temperature and time. As long as the top turns brown your buns should be ready. only you know you oven best.